1. Physio balls, software, DVD’s and switch lending Library – Families have varying needs, both personal and financial, and the Charity is committed to helping every child reach their potential. The equipment library enables Brainwave to provide appropriate “tools” to ensure that parents start the Brainwave Programme of therapy exercises immediately on returning home. This reflects the Charity’s Equal Opportunities Policy and sets it apart from other providers in terms of its provision and holistic approach. To equip this library and deliver the equipment to family homes:
£150 per child
or £20,000 annual budget
2. Hydrotherapy Pool – Some 284 children and a number of adults use this facility at Brainwave’s Somerset Centre each month. With the water temperature averaging 35 degrees the immediate benefits of pain relief and reduction of muscle spasm allow exercise without the physical limitations faced “on land”. The uniqueness of the water lies with its buoyancy. Therapists can use its properties and turbulence to create an exercise programme offering as much assistance or resistance specifically needed for each individual. Hydrotherapy is an effective treatment method in maintaining joint range of movement and promoting muscle strength. For children the exercises can be hidden in an activity that is fun and interactive. All children need to experience active movement to develop and for some disabled children water may be the only environment in which total independence can be achieved.
Project cost: £20,000 annual running costs
3. Bursary Fund – We continue to fundraise specifically for our Bursary Fund. This supplements and in some cases entirely replaces the small voluntary contribution which parents are asked to make. Many parents are in fact full time carers and cannot afford to make any contribution, but we never turn anyone away if they are committed to delivering the programme themselves. The current economic climate has increased the demands on this Fund.
Any contribution towards this fund would be greatly appreciated
4. Family Facilitators – We employ a regional team of three Family Facilitators whose sole purpose is to support the families in their homes. Their professional backgrounds give them the experience to engage effectively with a cross section of mainstream and independent sources allied to the needs of children with disabilities. Most importantly, they provide a listening ear and a tangible link between the families of the children on programme and our Therapy Team.
The regions covered are:
a) Scotland, Northern England and North Wales
b) Ireland, South West, West Midlands and South Wales
c) East Midlands, London and South East
To support the part time salary costs, training and overheads of one Facilitator:
b and c: £15,000
5. Continuous Professional Development (CPD) - The quality and efficacy of the Charity’s programmes need to be regularly evaluated. The Charity is proud of its commitment to continuous professional development. Furthermore, because the therapists are all members of their professional bodies they are required to attend appropriate training to keep their registration. If they were employed within the NHS, their CPD would largely be delivered in house, but we need to send staff on external courses to ensure their level of expertise is maintained and to give them exposure to their colleagues within a mainstream environment. The cost of formal training courses increases annually and this appeal is to provide a bursary for the CPD of staff.
Training Fund: £15,000 per annum